Are you looking to improve your exocad skills…
Get the Best exocad Training Available for Dental Technicians and Dentists
Apply now to get early preview access and receive 80% off on our Mastering exocad training!
Learn exocad Online with Comprehensive Training
Having an advanced understanding will completely transform your dental workflows, but it can be overwhelming to get started when you don’t understand the interface or the tools and features at your fingertips.
If you’ve never implemented CAD/CAM in your clinic before, it can be easy to feel out of your comfort zone and just give up.
Even designing a simple crown can be a confusing and frustrating experience, with every click of the mouse leaving you feel more lost and overwhelmed.
Even if you have a little bit of experience with exocad, without proper guidance it’s nearly impossible to make use of the advanced features like crown-lengthening and implant planning.
If you need help with exocad, there's a solution!
The Institute of Digital Dentistry offers a comprehensive and insightful bundle of exocad training courses.
The courses range from fundamental topics like setting up the software and designing basic crowns…
All the way to advanced material like full-mouth rehabilitation and implant planning.
We're offering our premium, comprehensive exocad training at a heavily discounted rate for the first 20 dentists or technicians that are accepted.
Find out how to to apply below.
how to get heavily discounted exocad training
We're currently in the process of releasing our new comprehensive exocad training.
To ensure that our training is truly the best exocad training available, we’re seeking 20 dentists or technicians to experience the course content before anyone else.
In exchange for a massive discount we need your feedback on what you liked about the training, what areas could be improved, and anything else you think we need to know.
To access this online course, we're asking all interested people to apply using the form below.
Successful applicants will be asked to supply detailed feedback and complete a short Zoom call to discuss their course experience.
In return, you will get 80% off the cost of the course - a price that will never be repeated.
Plus, you'll get to work closely with iDD to ensure our educational content is top notch and know you are helping your fellow dentists around the world.
Apply below, or email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Apply for discounted preview access to our online exocad course
Dental CAD Designer
Meet your educator
Marjorie Andrade is a talented dental CAD designer from Santa Catarina, Brazil.
During her career, Marjorie has worked for several high-end laboratories in Brazil focusing on cosmetic cases, where she honed her skills and developed an eye for detail.
The aesthetic demands of patients in her home country can be very high, so this helped her excel in her craft as a CAD designer, working with several well-known dentists.
Her passion is creating beautiful and functional dental restorations with a focus on exocad software which she has spent several years mastering. Marjorie's commitment to excellence and extensive knowledge of exocad make her the perfect person to teach others how to learn and become proficient in using the software.
Gain instant access to 69 detailed exocad lessons
Our online exocad training will give you all the tools you need to master this incredible software.
We've developed this course to make mastering exocad as easy and painless as possible.
You can access it anytime, anywhere, and at your own pace.
What's included in the online exocad training course?
Module 1 - Mastering exocad Fundamentals
Access 26 exocad online training lessons designed for total beginners to exocad. In 3 hours this module will give you the confidence to tackle fundamental restorative exocad designs.
01 - 01 - exocad Introduction
- Get an insight into the course's structure and content for a comprehensive understanding.
- Learn about exocad software's widespread usage and adaptability.
- Develop familiarity with the software's additional modules and grasp various licensing options available.
01 - 02 - Hardware Requirements
- Understand the hardware requirements for running exocad software effectively.
- Identify the suggested RAM, GPU, screen resolution, and power specifications for optimal performance.
- Understand that exocad software exclusively supports Windows and is not compatible with virtual machines.
01 - 03 - Setting Up a Case and Setting Options
- Learn the importance of setting up a case properly.
- Understand the three main areas of a dental database and their functions.
- Learn the ability to choose appropriate client and patient data, along with understanding technician responsibilities.
- Recognize the importance of selecting the appropriate manufacturer configuration to ensure project success.
01 - 04 - Different Kinds of Files and 3D Viewers
- Understand the different file formats used in CAD design, including STL, PLY, and OBJ.
- Understand the importance of choosing the right manufacturer setup for optimal project outcomes.
- Learn the benefits of using a 3D file visualization software, such as Exocad Viewer.
- Learn about locating and installing Exocad Viewer for convenient file access and examination.
- Comprehend the advantages of utilizing hotkeys within exocad for increased efficiency.
- Learn key hotkeys for various actions, tools, and group selection to optimize workflow.
- Learn how to increase productivity by practicing and using hotkeys in exocad.
01-06 Wizard Mode or Expert Mode
- Understand the difference between Wizard Mode and Expert Mode.
- Obtain knowledge of the pros and cons associated with each mode for informed decision-making.
- Master the process of accessing and utilizing Expert Mode to modify parameters individually for each tooth.
02 - 01 - Data Orientation
- Understand the importance of adjusting scan data orientation.
- Get the skills to upload required meshes, finalize dentalDB configuration, and input all essential information.
- Learn to employ the "Scan Data Editor" feature in Expert Mode for inverting triangle orientation.
02 - 02 - 3D Data Editor
- Understand the capabilities of the 3D data editor within exocad.
- Learn the skills to crop, delete, merge, and separate meshes into segments.
- Learn to fix scan data intersections and communicate any intersections exceeding 0.1 millimeters to the client.
02 - 03 - Margin Detection
- Understand the significance of margin detection in exocad.
- Recognize the dual methods for margin detection: automatic and manual approaches.
- Learn to refine margins using the magnetic option or by altering the light source, and rectify errors with undo/redo buttons.
02 - 04 - Crown Bottoms
- Understand the importance of discussing parameters involved in restoration with the provider or milling center.
- Learn the ability to assess progress and utilize the "Add Another Zone" feature in exocad effectively.
- Understand the difference between milling and printing and how to check/uncheck the anticipated milling feature.
02 - 05 - Insertion Axis
- Learn how to define the insertion axis manually if the software cannot automatically find it.
- Understand how to identify and avoid undercuts during the design process.
- Know how to instantly update the crown design following any modifications.
- Learn how to evenly distribute undercuts when a suitable insertion axis is not available.
02 - 06 - Minimum Thickness
- Underestand the significance of verifying interocclusal space prior to modifying default settings.
- Learn the recommended minimum thickness for different materials like Zirconia, wax or acrylic.
- Understand how selecting wax as the material in dentalDB offers increased flexibility to reduce minimum thickness when necessary.
02 - 07 - Tooth Placement
- Learn how to use the "Place Model Tooth" step to accelerate the design process.
- Know how tooth model selection for posterior teeth takes into account fissure depth, cervical shape, and cusp types.
- Understand how the software automatically determines tooth length and identifies neighboring teeth.
- Learn how to select and preview tooth models from a different library without deforming the morphology.
02 - 08 - Free-Forming
- Understand the concluding phase of the design process and the methods to sculpt the tooth utilizing different tools.
- Master the usage of the "Anatomic" tab and its four primaries presets for modifying the editing area.
- Learn to enable the "occlusal only" option to limit adjustments to the occlusion direction.
- Learn how to use the "Adapt" tab and its two types of adaptation: occlusal and approximal.
- Understand how the "Cut Intersections" and "Shape-Preserving Adaptation" tools work.
02 - 09 - Save and Merge Restorations
- Understand how the software combines the "bottom of designs" mesh from the "crown bottom" stage with the full anatomic mesh to produce the final file for milling or printing the restoration.
- Learn to save the scene in the project directory and close the dental CAD window effectively.
- Understand why it is not recommended to free-form the finished restoration.
- Learn how to design a model and save the finished STL file in the project folder.
- Understand the clear and concise approach of the course in teaching basic CAD skills.
- Learn how to create a minimum thickness coping using the offset coping technique.
- Comprehend that the antagonist is not defined by default for offset coping and acquire the skills to specify it manually.
- Develop the ability to incorporate gingiva into the design and align meshes using the "add/remove mesh" tool, along with the "align meshes" and "best-fit matching" tools.
- Understand the lingual band step and learn how to adjust it using the "collar angle" and "collar height" settings.
- Learn the skills to employ free-form tools for smoothing the coping surface, ensuring sufficient space for ceramic layering, or designing a new crown.
- Understand the ideal cement gap and border parameters for inlays.
- Master the process of choosing a bur with or without a flat nose for undercuts by utilizing the "anatomic crown" feature.
- Get an insight into the benefits of employing advanced placement over the "place model tooth" wizard step for increased replacement choices.
- Understand the significance of keeping a safe border parameter for milling machines.
- Learn to select the suitable material (lithium disilicate) for anterior crowns.
- Understand the usage of the "mirror" tool for copying teeth and the significance of manual margin definition and optimization.
- Learn to position and align teeth effectively, utilizing custom views for enhanced visualization.
- Understand the importance of occlusion and contact area adjustments.
- Learn how to use the TruSmile module for visualization and symmetry.
- Know the concluding stages of the design process, including the utilization of free-forming for design refinement, cutting occlusal and approximal areas, and finalizing the design and saving the restoration appropriately.
06 - 01 - Case Setup, Insertion Axis, and Prep Reduction
- Understand how to adjust the insertion axis for diverging abutment teeth.
- Learn how to ensure a unique insertion direction for bridges.
- Get the ability to equalize undercuts on both abutment teeth for optimal fit.
- Learn the ability to communicate with clients and devise solutions that align with their requirements.
- Develop the skill to simulate digital reduction for guidance and compare initial and reduced preps to offer effective guidance to clients.
06 - 02 - Tooth Placement for Bridge
- Learn to be proficient in finalizing the margination process and positioning tooth models accurately.
- Comprehend the procedure to load the correct library and substitute generic tooth models as needed.
- Learn the ability to utilize background grids for alignment assistance.
- Know how to apply tooth placement principles from the "single crown" module.
- Be able to focus on shape and volume rather than color when using the TruSmile module's plaster render.
06 - 03 - Free-Forming and Types of Pontics
- Understand how to ensure proper occlusal surface alignment with adjacent teeth.
- Learn how to find correct contact points on the occlusal side of restorations.
- Understand how to use TruSmile and render in real tooth color for better design of fissures.
- Know how to discuss cervical adaptation and desired pontic bottom type with clients.
- Be able to create a "modified ridge lap" pontic design for better patient cleaning access.
06 - 04 - Connectors and Saved Merged Restoration
- Understand how to define connectors in dentalDB and add/delete connectors in expert mode.
- Learn how to ensure "unique insertion direction for bridges" before merging and finishing.
- Know how to define connector size by cross-sectional area or height and width.
- Know how to check material indications with the manufacturer.
- Learn the skill to select a connector shape according to the case and reposition or drag connectors as required, utilizing control or shift.
07 - 01 - Full Reduction
- Learn to delete merged parts and alter reconstruction type in Expert Mode.
- Know how to customize reduction using advanced parameters such as "reduce less on the lingual side" or "multilevel reduction."
- Learn how to adjust minimum thickness and basal reduction depth based on case-specific factors effectively.
- Understand how to revert to the complete anatomic bridge by following the regular workflow.
07 - 02 - Buccal Reduction
- Distinguish between the full reduction and buccal reduction methods.
- Recognize when buccal reduction is preferable, such as for ceramic layering or veneer frame design.
- Utilize customized tooth shapes with a "cutback" version as a reference for reduction.
- Conduct manual reduction for more efficient outcomes.
- Learn how to render the jaw scan transparent to facilitate precise boundary elimination.
08 - 01 - Extra Dies
- Understand the three ways to access the model creator and the importance of switching to expert mode.
- Learn how to choose the model type and adjust dice parameters.
- See how to apply manufacturer presets for specific printers and resins.
- Know how to locate and use the STL files for printing.
- Understand the importance of consulting the exocad Wiki for detailed parameter explanations.
08 - 02 - Cut-out Dies
- Learn the ability to verify that jaw scans are appropriately aligned to ensure accurate dental restorations.
- Understanding how to adjust fitting by modifying the space between the die and the model ditch is a valuable skill for achieving optimal results.
- Learning to maintain appropriate ditch dimensions is essential in preventing gingiva interferences or proximal adaptation issues that could compromise the restoration's fit and function.
- Learn how to create a separate gingiva mask and set the minimum thickness to 2 mm.
- See how to run calculations and check finished files in the project folder.
Module 2 - Mastering exocad Intermediate
Access 22 intermediate exocad online training lessons to take your skills to the next level. The next 3 hours in this module will elevate your knowledge to work on more exocad design workflows.
01- 01 - Bite Splint Setup - Bottom and Top Design
- Learn how to design a bite splint using the virtual articulator and consider jaw movements.
- Know to choose suitable teeth for the design of a bite splint.
- Learn how to determine the optimal occlusal thickness considering the patient's limitations in VDO and grinding patterns.
- Learn how to adjust the scan data orientation and edit any artifacts or deformities.
- Know to select the most suitable material for the bite splint and have a discussion with the client about it.
01 - 02 - Virtual Articulator
- Understand how to correctly position jaw scans with respect to the type of articulator being used.
- Learn how to align jaw scans by utilizing the measurement tool and establish additional planes to assist in alignment.
- Understand how to adjust parameters for maximum jaw movement when required and identify which teeth impact articulate movement.
- Know how to prevent incorrect bite height or restoration size when dealing with intersections.
- Understand how to select the most suitable articulator model for the case and create a gap between jaw scans if needed.
01 - 03 - Dynamic Adaptation
- Understand how to utilize the "Dynamic" option to remove intersections and maintain volume only on the canine and protrusive guidance path.
- Modify the bite splint using the same value as for the static adaptation, and employ smooth and flattened tools to create a surface that is as smooth as possible.
- Know the functionality of articulator movements by removing static contacts and updating the simulation movements to reflect the new free-formed surface of the design.
- Learn how to open the bite manually using two methods: the "correct antagonist" tool for small bite scan corrections or the virtual articulator for more accurate results in bite splints or full mouth rehabilitations
- Know how to fix the issue of raising the VDO on the virtual articulator during dynamic occlusal adaptation by saving the case as STL files with open bite coordination and restarting the case with the correct bite value
- Understand the importance of opening the VDO correctly in bite splints and full mouth rehabilitations.
- Learn about two methods for opening the VDO manually: using the "correct antagonist" tool for small corrections and using the virtual articulator for more accurate results.
- See two examples of how to open the bite by 6mm using each method.
- Understand the potential problems that can arise from raising the VDO too high on the virtual articulator during dynamic occlusal adaptation.
- Learn how to fix this issue by saving the VDO as STL files with open bite coordination and restarting the case.
- Understand how to choose the opening bite value and set the parameters for the simulation.
03 - 01 - Custom Tray Design
- Learn how to use the custom tray design workflow in dentalDB.
- Understand the importance of setting the upper arch as "bite splint" and selecting no antagonist for the "one stone model only" scan mode.
- Know how to adjust the insertion axis slightly towards the front to enhance the retention of anterior tissue.
- Understand the rationale behind maintaining a thickness of 1.5mm for the top surface of the custom tray.
- Learn how to draw the margin of the custom tray and start the calculation.
- Learn how to add attachments to the free-form merged restorations to design the handle.
03 - 02 - Attachments
- Understand how to use attachments in restorative workflows like crowns and veneers during the free-form step.
- Know how "Cut on gingiva" works for project teeth and cuts the intersections on the gingiva mesh.
- Understand the potential production problems that might arise from using "Allow any changes," which lets you change any part of the mesh.
- Learn how to load a 3D file to use as an attachment.
- Know how to toggle the transparency of the meshes to help visualize and raise the "total height" until the attachment is piercing through the whole mesh.
- Learn how the attachments tool expands design possibilities and problem-solving ideas.
04 - 01 - Eggshell Crowns
- Understand the workflow for creating provisional eggshell crowns using dentalDB software.
- Learn how to select teeth and define their location in the software.
- See how to manually correct tooth boundaries using the brush tool.
- Understand how to design the crown bottom using shoulder width, shoulder slope, and taper.
- Know how to use a custom tooth library to create the crown and how to adapt and save the crown.
04 - 02 - Eggshell Bridge
- Understand the similarities between the eggshell crown and eggshell bridge workflows.
- Learn how to digitally extract teeth and control gingival removal using the slider.
- See how to use free-form to adapt the pontic to the gingiva and how to add and smooth where necessary.
- Understand that interproximal contacts are not critical in bridge design as everything will merge in the end.
- Know how to use a tooth library to design a bridge, strating with the selection of the "anatomic pontic" as the pontic and following the required steps until the case is completed.
- Understand the complex process of digital dentistry implant workflow.
- Know how to select the right implant library and design properly in exocad.
- Learn how to determine the necessary specifications of an implant in a patient's mouth, including size, shape, and placement.
- Know how to use scan bodies and abutments from the same company for optimal results.
- Understand the different scan bodies and abutment selection criteria for different brands.
05 - 01 - Custom Abutment Setup and Implant Selection
- Know how to use custom abutment in exocad for designing an implant-based restoration.
- Understand the importance of tooth selection, material selection, and scan marker placement in the process.
- Learn how to determine the transgingival height of the abutment and set it in the software.
- Know how to use the best fit matching function to align meshes and avoid interferences.
05 - 02 - Emergence Profile Abutment and Crown Design
- Learn how to define the emergence profile for the abutment and crown design.
- Understand how to use margin detection tools and adjust profile borders for custom abutments.
- Know how to use the expert mode to free-form the abutment bottom for final adjustments.
- Learn how to create a free-form crown and utilize a secondary insertion direction to ensure proper fitting.
- Understand the steps involved in ensuring a minimum draft angle and adequate space between the abutment and crown chewing surface.
05 - 03 - Screw-Retained Crown
- Know how to design a full screw-retained crown using dentalDB
- Understand the process of selecting the appropriate scan body and adjusting the abutment height for optimal accuracy in implant crown design.
- Learn how to create a free-form surface for the crown and define the screw hole design using a "chimney."
- Know the significance of reducing the implant-based crown and avoiding the entry of ceramic material into the screw channel.
05 - 04 - Implant Crown without Scanbody
- Learn how to design an implant-based crown without a scan body in dentalDB.
- Know how to scan the case from a stone model and add the separate gingiva scan.
- Understand how to identify the margin well, position the screw channel in the center, and ensure stronger contact with the gingiva. This will help to enhance the longevity of the implant crown and prevent complications such as bacterial infiltration and inflammation.
- Learn how to inform the client of any interferences that may arise during the design process and allocate more volume to avoid ending up with a gap. This will help to ensure that the implant crown fits accurately and maintains proper function.
05 - 05 - How to Change Implant Type and Implant Analogs During the Dental CAD
- Understand how to change implant type or analog type after starting a design in exocad.
- Know how to delete merged parts in expert mode and smooth distorted areas in free-form.
- Learn how to complete a case involving a new implant restoration type by returning to the wizard. This will allow you to ensure that all required steps have been completed and the restoration is functioning optimally.
- Discover alternative solutions for common exocad software issues.
06 - 01 - Introduction and Case Setup
- Understand the importance of digital wax-ups in digital dentistry, particularly in aesthetic veneer cases and rehabilitations.
- Know the workflow to design a wax-up for upper teeth and simulate a gingivoplasty.
- Learn about the importance of preparation type and material selection.
- Understand how to upload STL files and adjust scan data orientation.
- Know how to correct mesh defects in wizard mode when using digital impression scan mode in dentalDB.
06 - 02 - Smile Creator
- Understand how to load photos into the scene and use professional cameras with macro lenses for dental photography.
- Learn about the issue of barrel lens distortion in smartphone photos and how to set corresponding points for alignment.
- Know how to use the proportion guide to position the smile line and select the appropriate anatomy.
- Learn how to use the blue point, arrows, and vertical arrows to adjust angulation and rotation.
06 - 03 - Tooth Placement and Copy Tooth
- Understand the four extra views to wax up cases and how to disable the TruSmile view.
- Know the two common workflows for tooth placement and how to scale teeth sideways using advanced mode.
- Learn how to make teeth mesh transparent and check volume with transparency and cut view.
- Understand how to simulate reduction and carefully use the scale option when teeth are mirrored.
- Know how to check tooth placement using photos after finishing.
06 - 04 - Free-Forming and Gingivectomy Simulation
- Understand the purpose of free-forming and how it allows for customization of the teeth library.
- Learn how to simulate gingivoplasty using tooth parts and adjust the zenith of teeth.
- Know how to separate teeth meshes using a disk cutter and check for intersecting meshes in the antagonist.
- Understand how to save the wax-up as an STL file for future use to design veneers.
07 - 01 - Case Setup - Margination - Insertion Axis and Bottoms
- Learn how to use a previous wax-up mesh as pre-op to design veneers.
- Know when to set a case as "anatomic crowns" even if the preps are for veneers when milling with flat nose burs.
- Understand the importance of adjusting inlay bottom parameters depending on the accuracy of the machines that will produce the veneers.
- Learn how to skip the smile creator step when the case has an approved wax-up done previously.
- Know how to perform margin line detection and why it is essential to the design process.
07 - 02 - Tooth Placement - PreOp Adaptation and Free-Form
- Understand how to upload a wax-up mesh to the scene in expert mode.
- Learn how to align meshes and set up corresponding points.
- Know how to use the "crop" tool to delete unselected meshes and remove the gingiva from the pre-op scan.
- Understand how to solve minimum thickness breaching by lowering the value, resizing the mesh, or using free-form tools.
- Learn how to use free-form tools to smooth edges and correct the approximal and occlusal sides of teeth models inside the blue pre-op mesh.
08 - 01 - Model Creator and Implant Analogs
- Know how to access the model creator with the implants module and create a plateless model with extra dies.
- Understand how to position the jaw scans to avoid breaching model boundaries and toggle tooth dies.
- Learn how to raise the pedestal height and horizontal offset values and create a separate gingival mask if necessary.
- Know how to remove the gingiva from the solid model and generate upper and antagonist jaw models.
- Understand how to install an implant analog library and contact the implant provider if necessary.
08 - 02 - Model for Wax-Ups - Add Attachments and Text
- Know how to align the digital wax-up model and design plateless models with the full anatomic checkbox enabled.
- Learn how to adjust the pedestal height and polish the model surface using free-form tools.
- Understand how to move and rotate attachments, check for bad placement, and overlap meshes for articulator attachments.
- Know how to move and resize text using sliders and adjust the thickness to fit the model.
Module 3 - Mastering exocad Advanced
Access 11 exocad online training lessons for advanced exocad users and master complex design workflows. In these 2 hours you will grow your capabilities to handle advanced restorative exocad design workflows.
01- 01 Case Setup and Splint Design
- How to design a crown lengthening guide using an approved wax-up design with proper crown lengthening simulation and a good scan of the arch you want to work on.
- The process of splint design, including selecting the teeth needed for the guide, adding an additional tooth to fix the splint in the patient's mouth, and creating a splint top with a thickness of 1.5 millimeters and cut patterns added to the surgical guide.
- How to adjust the scan data orientation to ensure a smooth fitting to the mouth, and raise the minimum thickness to one millimeter.
01 - 02 - Cut Patterns and Attachments Subtract
- How to create a telescopic crown by uploading the same jaw scans used for the surgical guide splint and adding the wax-up as an extra mesh.The process of performing margin line detection on the boundaries of
- wax-up mesh until the midline of the tooth, correcting the insertion direction of each tooth to be frontal, and removing the cement gap.How to save each tooth as an STL file and merge restorations, add cut
- patterns to the guide splint folder, and make any final adjustments to surface deformities in free-forming.
02 - 01 - Case Setup, First Considerations, Bite Alignment, Margination, and Crown Bottom (faulty alignment video)
- Learn how to set up a case for full mouth rehabilitation, including considering bite alignment, margination, and crown bottom parameters.
02 - 02 - Tooth Placement (Chain Mode), Free-Form, and Final Adaptation
- Learn how to load all teeth into the scene and accelerate tooth placement using chain mode for efficient design process.
- Understand the process of overall tooth placement, including covering minimal thickness layers, setting buccal volume and teeth length, and making final adjustments with the free-form tool.
- Gain knowledge on adjusting lingual area after placing lower arch teeth and checking occlusion carefully from all angles.
- Learn how to use grids to evaluate smile curve, teeth proportion, angulation, and volume for optimal tooth placement.
- Understand the importance of checking minimal thickness layer for proper adaptation of teeth.
02 - 03 - Free-Form and Final Adaptations
- Learn how to use free-forming to add volume, correct small details, and achieve optimal occlusion bite.
- Understand the process of removing extra volume on the lingual side and using the "tooth parts" tool to relocate the angle of the root for optimal tooth placement.
- Gain knowledge on checking for big overlaps between the margin of the prep and the model tooth mesh.
- Learn how to save tooth meshes as pre-op STL files to avoid distortions during adaptation to jaw scan mesh.
- Understand the process of adding connectors to the bridge and shaping them using free-form.
- Learn how to reactivate the virtual articulator to check jaw movements and correct any interferences in free-form.
- Gain knowledge on using expert mode for easy navigation and revisiting previous steps in the design process.
03 - 01 - Case Setup, First Considerations, Implant Detection, and Upper Teeth Placement
- Understand the importance of proper case setup in designing a double All-on-X case.
- Know how to select and load the necessary files, including upper and lower jaw scans, scan markers, bite and teeth reference, and information about implants and scan bodies.
- Learn how to perform anatomic and pontic wax-up for All-on-X designs to avoid adaptation problems between implants and teeth.
- Know how to use virtual articulator and markings on the wax-rim to guide jaw correction and position the upper wax-rim.
- Learn how to activate and utilize the virtual articulator for tooth placement in All-on-X cases.
03 - 02 - Lower Teeth and Jaw Movements Adaptation
- Understand how to choose tooth proportions based on median values and adjust as necessary for lower teeth in All-on-X cases.
- Learn how to use the measurement tool to determine the distance between mesial and distal sides of the lower central incisor and scale down the tooth based on proportion guidelines.
- Know how to perform first quadrant placement while maintaining upper and lower midline alignment in All-on-X cases.
- Learn how to fit lower teeth buccal cups to upper teeth grooves for proper occlusion.
- Understand how to use the virtual articulator to check jaw movements and adjust contacts accordingly for optimal results in All-on-X cases.
03 - 03 - Virtual Gingiva Design Merging
- Understand the process of creating virtual gingiva in All-on-X cases, including the "abutment bottom" step.
- Know how to set a proper insertion axis and create a mesh that blocks out undercuts for virtual gingiva design.
- Learn how to activate TrueSmile, if available, to assist with gingival morphology details.
- Understand how to check and adjust the proportions of the lower teeth in relation to the upper arch, and measure all teeth sizes for optimal results in All-on-X cases.
- Learn how to merge the arches by generating a virtual wax-up scan and saving the anatomic wax-up mesh for virtual gingiva design merging.
03 - 04 - Reduction
- Understand the different ways to finish an All-on-X project, including not reducing the anatomy, making a cutback reduction only on the buccal side, or making a full reduction for thick ceramic layers.
- Learn how to perform a full reduction by selecting teeth to reduce, adjusting depth values, reducing gingiva design, and smoothing the whole design for optimal results in All-on-X cases.
- Know how to repeat the same steps for the lower arch with appropriate adjustments for reduced teeth in All-on-X cases.
- Understand how to turn off the screw hole design and merge restorations to complete the reduced design in All-on-X cases.
- Understand the importance of face scan in increasing the predictability of a case in full-mouth rehabs or wax-up cases.
- Know how to obtain a face scan file from devices like Bellus3D or a smartphone app and how to adjust scan data errors and lighting for a realistic look.
- Learn how to activate the virtual articulator and correct jaw scans for real angles and movements to enhance the accuracy of the case.
- Learn how to use the All-on-X project to generate models with separate gingiva attachments and texts for 3D printing.
- Understand how to align upper teeth with the occlusal plane, load model analogs, and adjust model height and width to ensure proper fit.
- Know how to add gingiva mask, retention nubs, articulator, incisal pin, and texts to the model, and how to use the measurement tool to check the model size before printing.
Module 4 - Mastering exocad Tips and Tricks
Access 10 exocad online training lessons that will enhance your exocad workflow. In these 30 minutes you will get valuable tips and tricks that will save you time and help you handle some tricky scenarios.
- Learn how to enhance communication in exocad by utilizing the cut view tool, arch navigation slider, and measuring distances between surfaces for accuracy.
- Demonstrate wax-up thickness to clients using scene positioning and annotations for clarity.
- Learn how to capture screenshots to share with clients and collaborate using images for optimal results in case discussions.
- See how to share case information with clients through screenshots, HTML, and PDF file exports.
- Utilize 3D visualization in internet browsers or exocad Webview to allow clients to interact with the case and improve communication.
- Learn how to share files via email or messaging apps and understand data storage and deletion processes to reduce mistakes and surprises in cases.
- Learn how to correctly install new teeth model libraries, including teeth, pontics, and metadata folders.
- Understand the process of installing implant libraries, including scan posts, prosthetic components, and analogs for a printable model.
- Know how to restart the application for changes to take effect and make new libraries available in the "load custom model teeth" step.
- Understand the process of transforming an implant-based crown from screw-retained to cement-retained without starting over.
- Learn how to import the modified tooth as an STL file for milling or printing.
- Recognize that importing a construction info file will not work for the modified tooth.
- Learn a trick to use the Smile Creator Module in exocad without having to upload a photo.
- Understand the normal recommendation of using photos of the patient as a reference for smile designs.
- Demonstrate how to use the Smile Creator Module without a photo in exocad.
- Know the importance of adding more teeth than requested in DentalDB for ease of design in exocad.
- Understand that teeth cannot be changed once the design process has started and starting over may be required.
- Learn how to add teeth to a project without starting over in exocad.
- Understand that exocad's open format allows users to change its layout and default parameters.
- Learn how to change icons on DentalDB and the background of dental CAD for personalized logos.
- Know how to create backup files and customize exocad using PNG images with transparent backgrounds.
- Learn the process of opening a project from another computer in exocad.
- Understand the importance of saving the folder with .dentalproject and .dentalCAD files for successful project import.
- Know how to open project files from different sources, such as 3M, iTero, and TRIOS, in exocad.
- Understand the process of splitting a bridge to work around situations where abutments are angulated in different directions.
- Learn how to design bridges in exocad that may not sit properly due to lack of parallelism in abutments.
- Learn the importance of recognizing the option of changing the configuration inside exocad's default parameters in order to angulate screw channels for implant-based restorations.
- Understand the potential risks and challenges of modifying default parameters and the need for computer skills.
- Learn how to save modifications, restart exocad's application, and open implant cases with angulated screw channels.